Zhong Tang 唐本忠
Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences 中国科学院院士 (MCAS)
Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry（英国）皇家化学会会士 (FRSC)
Chair Professor, Department of Chemistry, Division of Biomedical
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (HKUST)
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Phone: +852-2358-7375 (office: Rm. CYT-6002); E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to the homepage of Tang
Link to Google
Scholar Profile of Dr. Tang
Link to AIEgen Biotech Co., Ltd.
Ben Zhong Tang is Stephen K. C. Cheong Professor of Science, Chair Professor of Chemistry,
and Chair Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering
at The Hong Kong University of Science and
Technology (HKUST). His research
interests include macromolecular chemistry, materials science, and biomedical theranostics. He is
spearheading the research on aggregation-induced emission (AIE), a topic ranked
no. 2 in the areas of Chemistry and Materials Science by Thomson Reuters in its
report on Research Fronts 2015.
Tang received B.S. and Ph.D. degrees from South
China University of Technology and Kyoto University, respectively. He conducted postdoctoral research at
University of Toronto. He joined HKUST
as an assistant professor in 1994 and was promoted to
chair professor in 2008. He was elected to the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the
Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) in 2009 and 2013, respectively.
Tang has published >1,000 papers. His publications have been cited >50,000
times, with an h-index of 109. He has been listed by Thomson Reuters as a Highly Cited Researcher in both areas of
Chemistry and Materials Science. He
received Scientific and Technological Progress Award from the Ho Leung
Ho Lee Foundation (2017), National Natural Science Award from the
Chinese Government (2007) and Senior Research Fellowship from the Croucher Foundation (2007).
He is now serving as Editor-in-Chief of
Chemistry Frontiers (RSC & CCS).
Examples of Research Highlights
Dr. Tang was honored
by a festschrift in J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem. (2017, 55, 505–775).
published a Special
Issue on Aggregation-Induced Emission (2016,
AIE research highlighted by a Nature News
Feature Article “The
nanolight revolution is coming” on 3 March 2016 (Nature 2016, 531, 26–28).
New York Times published a story about AIE research (“Unusual Molecules Shine Light on New Applications”)
Tang was honored by a festschrift in J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. Mater. (2015, 25, 1–175).
(1) Academic Qualifications
(2) Professional Services
(3) Examples of Review Articles
(4) Examples of Recent Publications
(5) Useful Links
12/2012-present Stephen K. C. Cheong Professor of Science,
05/2012-present Chair Professor,
Division of Biomedical Engineering, HKUST
07/2008-present Chair Professor,
Department of Chemistry, HKUST
07/1994-06/2008 Assistant/Associate/Full Professor,
Department of Chemistry, HKUST
04/1989-06/1994 Postdoctoral Research
Associate, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
04/1983-03/1988 PhD, Department of
Polymer Chemistry, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
02/1978-01/1982 BS, Department of
Polymer Science & Engineering, South China University of Technology
(2) Scientific Honors and Professional Services
- Director, Hong Kong Branch of National Engineering
Research Center for Tissue Restoration & Reconstruction, Hong Kong,
- Dean, SCUT–HKUST
Joint Research Institute, South China University of Technology (SCUT), Guangzhou, China
- Scientific and Technological
Progress Award, The Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation (2017)
- Honorary Citizen of the City of Guangzhou 广州市荣誉市民
- Listed as a Highly Cited Researcher in Chemistry by Thomson Reuters
- Listed as a Highly Cited Researcher in Materials Science by Thomson Reuters
International Award (2nd KIA Laureate), Iranian Organization for
Science & Technology (2014)
- Fellow, The Royal Society
of Chemistry (2013)
- Pioneer from Asia, Asian
Chemical Congress (2013)
Lecture Award, PMSE Division, American Chemical Society (2012)
- Outstanding Contribution Award, Science China Chemistry (2012)
- Member, Chinese
Academy of Sciences (2009)
- Feng Xinde Polymer Prize,
Natural Science Award (2nd Class), Chinese Government (2007)
- Croucher Senior Research Fellowship Award, Croucher Foundation (2007)
- Wang Baoren Award for Accomplishments in Basic Polymer
Research, Chinese Chemical Society (2007)
Young Scholar (for overseas scientists of Chinese origin), National
Science Foundation of China (2002)
Chemistry Frontiers published by Royal Society of Chemistry
- Editor-in-Chief, RSC Polymer
Chemistry Series, published by Royal Society of Chemistry
Advances in Polymer Science,
Published by Springer
- Editor, Science
China Chemistry, Published by Springer
- Associate Editor, Progress
in Chemistry, published by Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Science Writer, Cutting-Edge
Chemistry, published by
American Chemical Society (2015–2016)
- Associate Editor, Polymer
Chemistry, published by Royal Society of Chemistry (2013-2015)
- Editor, Polymer
Bulletin, published by Springer
(3) Selected Examples of Invited Review Articles
- Polymerizations Based on
Triple-Bond Building Blocks Prog. Polym. Sci. 2017, in press.
- Conceptual Novelty: the Holy
Grail of Scientific Pursuit Nat. Sci. Rev. 2017, 4, 283
- Fluorescent Sensors Based on Aggregation-Induced
Emission: Recent Advances and Perspectives ACS Sensors 2017, 2, 1382.
- AIEgens for Biological Process Monitoring and
Disease Theranostics Biomaterials 2017, 146, 115.
- Aggregation-Induced Emission Probes for Cancer
Theranostics Drug Disc. Today 2017, 22, 1288.
in Optoelectronic Devices J. Mater. Chem. C 2017, 8,
- AIE Luminogens for Bioimaging and Theranostics: from
Organelles to Animals Chem 2017, 3, 56.
- Functionality and Versatility of Aggregation-Induced
Emission (AIE) Luminogens Appl.
Phys. Rev. 2017, 4, 021307.
Luminescence (CPL) from Chiral AIE Molecules and Macrostructures Small 2016, 12, 6495.
- Organic Dots Based on AIEgens for Two-Photon
Fluorescence Bioimaging Small
2017, 13, 6430.
- Kinetic Trapping–A Strategy
for Directing the Self-assembly of Unique Functional Nanostructures Chem. Commun.
2016, 52, 11870.
- Fabrication of Fluorescent Nanoparticles Based on AIE Luminogens
(AIE Dots) and Their Applications in Bioimaging Mater. Horiz. 2016, 3, 283.
- Aggregation-Induced Emission: Together We Shine, United
We Soar! Chem. Rev. 2015, 115, 11718.
- AIE Luminogens: A Family of New Materials
with Multifaceted Functionalities Sigma-Aldrich, 2015, 8
Emission of Siloles Chem. Sci. 2015,
Luminescence of Aggregation-Induced Emission Luminogens J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2015, 6,
- AIE Luminogens: Emission
Brightened by Aggregation Mater. Today 2015, 18, 365.
Polymerization of Alkynes Adv. Polym. Sci.
2015, 269, 17.
- Biosensing by Luminogens
with Aggregation-Induced Emission Characteristics Chem. Soc. Rev. 2015,
Light-up Bioprobes Based on AIEgen Conjugates Chem. Soc. Rev.
2015, 44, 2798.
Emission: The Whole Is More Brilliant than the Parts Adv. Mater. 2014,
- AIE Macromolecules:
Syntheses, Structures and Functionalities Chem. Soc. Rev. 2014,
- Bioprobes Based on AIE Fluorogens Acc. Chem. Res. 2013, 46, 2441.
- Luminogenic Polymers with Aggregation-Induced Emission
Characteristics Prog. Polym. Sci.
2012, 37, 182.
- Aggregation-Induced Emission Chem. Soc. Rev. 2011, 40, 5361.
- Click Polymerization Chem. Soc. Rev. 2010, 39, 2522.
(Most Accessed Article)
- Acetylenic Polymers: Syntheses, Structures and
Functions Chem. Rev. 2009, 109, 5799.
- Aggregation-Induced Emission: Phenomenon, Mechanism and
Applications Chem. Commun. 2009,
4332. (Most Cited Feature Article)
- Functional Polyacetylenes Acc. Chem.
Res. 2005, 38, 745.
Emission: Fundamentals; Wiley: New
Emission: Applications; Wiley: New
(4) Selected Examples of Recent Publications (>1,000 papers; h-index = 109)
- Mitochondrial Imaging with
Combined Fluorescence and Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy using a
Probe of Aggregation-Induced Emission Characteristic J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, in press.
- Ionization and Anion-π+ Interaction: A New
Strategy for Structural Design of Aggregation-Induced Emission Luminogens J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, in press.
Do Simple Molecules with
‘Isolated’ Phenyl Rings Emit Visible Light? J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017,
139, in press.
- Malonitrile-Functionalized Tetraphenylpyrazine:
Aggregation-Induced Emission, Ratiometric Detection of Hydrogen Sulfide
and Mechanochromism Adv. Funct. Mater. 2017, in press.
- Multifunctional AIEgens: Ready
Synthesis, Tunable Emission, Mechanochromism,
Mitochondrial and Bacterial Imaging Adv. Funct. Mater. 2017, in press.
- Facile Synthesis of Red/NIR AIE Luminogens with
Simple Structures, Bright Emissions and High Photostabilities,
and Their Applications for Specific Imaging of Lipid Droplets and
Image-Guided Photodynamic Therapy Adv.
Funct. Mater. 2017, in press.
- Multiscale Humidity Visualization by
Environmental Sensitive Fluorescent Molecular Rotors Adv. Mater. 2007, in
- Red-emissive Antibody-AIEgen Conjugate for
Turn-on and Wash-free Imaging of Specific Cancer Cells Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, in press.
- Highly Stable Organic Small Molecular
Nanoparticles as an Advanced and Biocompatible Phototheranostic
Agent of Tumor in Living Mice ACS
Nano 2017, 11, in press.
- Highly Stable Organic Small
Molecular Nanoparticles as an Advanced and Biocompatible Phototheranostic Agent of Tumor in Living Mice ACS Nano 2017, 11, in press.
- Light-Up Probe Based on
AIEgens: Dual Signal Turn-On for Cascade Caspase Activation Monitoring Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, in press.
- White Light Emission from a Single Organic Molecule with
Dual Phosphorescence at Room Temperature Nature Commun. 2017, 8,
8, 416 (1–8).
- Ultrafast Delivery of AIE Nanoparticles and Pure
Organic Phosphorescent Nanocrystals by Saponin
Encapsulation J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 14792.
- Dramatic Differences in
Aggregation-Induced Emission and Supramolecular Polymerizability
of Tetraphenylethene-Based Stereoisomers J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 10150.
- Metal-Free Multicomponent Tandem
Polymerizations of Alkynes, Amines, and Formaldehyde toward Structure- and
Sequence-Controlled Luminescent Polyheterocycles
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 5075.
Polymerization: A Powerful Tool toward Regio-and
Stereo-specific Poly(b-aminoacrylates) J. Am. Chem. Soc.
2017, 139, 5437.
- Highly Efficient Nondoped
OLEDs with Negligible Efficiency Roll-Off Fabricated From
Aggregation-Induced Delayed Fluorescence Luminogens Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 12971.
Is Superior to Thiophene: A Furan-cored AIEgen
with Remarkable Chromism and OLED Performance Adv. Sci. 2017, 4, 1700005.
- AIE Nanoparticles with High Stimulated Emission
Depletion Efficiency and Photobleaching Resistance for Long-Term
Super-resolution Bioimaging Adv.
- Robust Red Organic Nanoparticles
for in vivo Fluorescence Imaging of Cancer Cell Progression in Xenografted
Zebrafish Adv. Funct.
Mater. 2017, 27, 1701418.
Photosensitizer with Aggregation-Induced Emission
Characteristics Synergistically Boosts the Radiosensitivity
of Cancer Cells to Ionizing Radiation Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1606167.
High-Performance Nondoped OLEDs with Extremely
Small Efficiency Roll-Off by Combining Aggregation-Induced Emission and
Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence Adv. Funct. Mater. 2017, 27, 201606458.
- Tunable Mechanoresponsive
Self-assembly of An Amide-Linked Dyad with
Dual-Sensitivity of Photochromism and Mechanochromism Adv.
Funct. Mater. 2017, 27, 1701210.
- Two-Photon AIE Bioprobe with Large Stokes Shift for
Specific Imaging of Lipid Droplets Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 5440.
- Functionalized AIE Nanoparticles with Efficient Deep-red
Emission, Mitochondria Specificity, Cancer Cell Selectivity and
Multiphoton Susceptibility Chem.
Sci. 2017, 8, 4634.
Emission: Mechanistic Study of Clusteroluminescence of Tetrathienylethene
Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 2629.
- AIE-Active Theranostic System: Selective Staining and
Killing of Cancer Cells Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 1822.
Aggregation-Induced Emission Probes for Lipid Droplets-Specific Live Cell
Imaging Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 1763.
- AIEgen-Based Theranostic System: Targeted
Imaging of Cancer Cells and Adjuvant Amplification of Antitumor Efficacy
of Paclitaxel Chem.
Sci. 2017, 8, 2191.
- AIEgens for Dark through-Bond Energy Transfer:
Design, Synthesis, Theoretical Study and Its Application in Ratiometric Hg2+
Sensing Chem. Sci. 2017, 8, 2047.
- Organic Solid Fluorophores
Regulated by Subtle Structure Modification: Color-Tunable and
Aggregation-Induced Emission Chem.
Sci. 2017, 8, 577.
- Nanocrystallization: A Unique Approach to Yield Bright
Organic Nanocrystals for Biological Applications Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1604100 (1–6).
- Gelation Process Visualized by Aggregation-Induced
Emission Fluorogens Nature Commun. 2016,
- Fluorescence Microscopy as an Alternative to Electron Microscopy
for Microscale Dispersion Evaluation of Organic-Inorganic Composites
2016, 7, 11811.
- Real-Time Imaging of Cell Behaviors in
Living Organisms by a Mitochondria Targeting AIE Fluorogen Adv. Funct.
Mater. 2016, 26, 7132.
- Activatable Fluorescent Nanoprobe
with Aggregation-Induced Emission Characteristics for Selective In Vivo
Imaging of Elevated Peroxynitrite Generation Adv. Mater. 2016, 28, 7249.
- A Mitochondrion-Specific Photoactivatable Fluorescence Turn-on
AIE-based Bioprobe for Localization Super-Resolution Microscope Adv. Mater. 2016, 28, 5064.
- Synthesis of Imidazole-Based AIEgens with Wide Color Tunability and Exploration of Their Biological
Applications Adv. Funct. Mater. 2016,
- Rational Molecular Design for Achieving Persistent and
Efficient Pure Organic Room Temperature Phosphorescence Chem 2016, 1, 592.
- A Colour-Tunable Chiral AIEgen: Reversible Coordination,
Enantiomer Discrimination and Morphology Visualization Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 6106.
- Luminescent Photonic Crystals with Multi-functionality
and Tunability Chem. Sci. 2016, 7, 5692.
- Synthesis and Design of Aggregation-Induced Emission
Surfactants: Direct Observation of Micelle Transition and Microemulsion Droplets Angew.
Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 15160.
- Unusual Aggregation-Induced
Emission of a Coumarin Derivative as a Result of
the Restriction of an Intramolecular Twisting Motion Angew. Chem. Int.
Ed. 2015, 54, 14492.
Conductance of Folded Single-Molecule Wires Aided by Through-Space
Conjugation Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54,
- Mitochondrion-Specific Live-Cell Bioprobe Operated in a
Fluorescence Turn-On Manner and a Well-Designed Photoactivatable Mechanism
Adv. Mater. 2015, 27, 7093.
- Light-up Probe for Targeted and Activatable
Photodynamic Therapy with Real-time In-situ Reporting
of Sensitizer Activation and Therapeutic Responses Adv. Funct. Mater. 2015, 25, 6586.
Persistent Room Temperature Phosphorescence and Remarkable Mechanochromism from Pure Organic Luminogens Adv.
Mater. 2015, 27, 6195.
Luminogen with Aggregation-Induced Emission Characteristic for Wash-Free
Bacterial Imaging, High-Throughput Antibiotics Screening and Bacterial
Susceptibility Evaluation Adv. Mater. 2015, 27,
- Insight into the Strong
Aggregation-Induced Emission of Low-Conjugated Racemic C6-Unsubstituted Tetrahydropyrimidines through
Crystal-Structure-Property Relationship of Polymorphs Chem. Sci. 2015,
Emission and Aggregation-Promoted Photochromism
of Bis(diphenylmethylene)dihydroacenes Chem. Sci. 2015, 6,
Rigidity in Twisting Molecules: Filling the Gap between Aggregation-Caused
Quenching and Aggregation-Induced Emission Adv. Mater. 2015,
- Single Molecule with Dual
Function on Nanogold: Biofunctionalized
Construct for In Vivo Photoacoustic Imaging and SERS Biosensing Adv. Funct. Mater. 2015,
Nonlinear Optical Effects in Organic Luminogens with Aggregation-Induced
Emission Adv. Mater. 2015, 27, 2332.
- Modulating Optical Power Nature Mater. 2014,
Aggregation-Induced-Emission Platform for Direct Visualization of
Interfacial Dynamic Self-Assembly Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2014,
- Two-Dimensional Metal-Organic Framework with Wide
Channels and Responsive Turn-On Fluorescence for the Chemical Sensing of
Volatile Organic Compounds J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 7241.
- Direct Visualization of Surface-Assisted
Two-Dimensional Diyne Polycyclotrimerization
J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 5567.
- Targeted Theranostic Platinum(IV) Prodrug with a Built-in
Aggregation-Induced Emission Light-up Apoptosis Sensor for Noninvasive
Early Evaluation of Its Therapeutic Responses In-situ J. Am.
Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 2546.
- Self-assembly of Ultralong
Polyion Nano-Ladders Facilitated by Ionic
Recognition and Molecular Stiffness J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136,
- Reversible Photochromic
System Based on Rhodamine B Salicylaldehyde
Hydrazone Metal Complex J. Am. Chem.
Soc. 2014, 136, 1643.
- Ordered Honeycomb Structure Surface Generated by
Breath Figures for Liquid Reprography Adv. Funct. Mater. 2014,
- Creation of Bifunctional
Materials: Improve Electron-Transporting Ability of Light Emitters based
on AIE-Active 2,3,4,5-Tetraphenylsiloles Adv. Funct. Mater. 2014, 24,
- Bright and Photostable
Organic Fluorescent Dots with Aggregation-Induced Emission Characteristics
for Noninvasive Long-term Cell Imaging Adv. Funct.
Mater. 2014, 24, 635.
- Commercial source of AIE
materials: Sigma-Aldrich sells AIE products
- Special issue on Shape-Responsive
Fluorophores in J.
Mater. Chem. C 2016 (co-edited by Kyril Solntsev and Ben Zhong Tang)
Induced Emission: Faraday Discussion,
Guangzhou, 18-20 Nov 2016
- Dr. Tang was
interviewed by CNBC on AIEgen-based cancer imaging (“Tracking
Cancer Cells Just Got A Lot Easier”) on the World
Cancer Day, 3 Feb 2016.
- Bin Liu: The Wonderful World of AIEgens (Materials
in Society lecture series: AIEgens), 2015
- Comments on Peter Stang's work
of AIE-active metallacages [C&EN 2015, 93(13),
- The Tang Research Laboratory,
Department of Chemistry, HKUST, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
- SCUT-HKUST Joint Research Laboratory, State Key Laboratory of Luminescent Materials
and Devices, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou 51640, China